ICAI Day: AI & Climate Change
On the 16th of November, ICAI organizes the ICAI Day Autumn Edition. This hybrid event will take place in Utrecht and online (www.heirloom.nl/
Date: November 16, 2022
Time: 12:00 – 18:00 hrs
Location: Kromme Nieuwegracht 49, 3512 HE Utrecht & Online
What can you expect from this edition’s ICAI Day?
The climate crisis has a major impact on everyone and every living being on earth. As an AI community, ICAI would like to dedicate the ICAI Day Autumn Edition 2022 to address this important topic. In this edition, we focus on the technical aspect of how AI can be used for this challenge. We will show multiple insights from AI experts, and give examples of the social aspects of the climate change challenge. After the deep-dive into the current challenges we are facing, we will discuss how we can work together to find possible solutions with the support of AI technology. During the afternoon we will address the following aspects:
- Small group lunch discussions on specific topics with regard to Climate change and what can we do in this field;
- Talks of AI experts;
- Discussion on how can we work together to make the world a better place;
- ICAI Lab posters during the breaks with insights into the innovation of the labs.
For whom is the ICAI Day?
If you are interested in how AI can be used and like to see some technical talk of AI experts on climate change, you are welcome to join! The seats are limited, so please sign up!
We are looking forward to seeing you there!
Part 1 – 12:00 – 13:30 Lunch Table Discussion (NOT ONLINE, ONLY ON-SITE)
Topic: How AI can facilitate climate action in different sectors
- Heavy Industry and Manufacturing;
- Electricity Systems;
- Societal Adaptation;
- Ecosystems and Biodiversity;
- Markets and Finance.
Part 2 – 13:30 – 18:00 The Plenary Session (ONLINE: www.heirloom.nl/livestream AND ON-SITE)
Plenary Session Moderator: Felienne Hermans (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam)
- 13:30 Walk-in & Posters
- 14:00 Welcome by ICAI
- 14:05 Welcome by University Utrecht
- 14:15 Lunch Table Discussion Summary
- 14:30 Keynote speaker: Chiem van Straaten (KNMI) – Understanding climate extremes through AI
- 15:00 Keynote speaker (online): Ralf Herbrich (Hasso Plattner Institute) – Artificial Intelligence and Energy: From Battery Research to Energy-Efficient Machine Learning and Human Intelligence
- 15:30 Break & posters
- 16:00 Keynote speaker (online): Elena Verdolini (EIEE, Università degli Studi di Brescia) – What role for AI in climate change mitigation?
- 16:30 Panel Discussion
- Renato Calzone (Ilustre Lab)
- Olivier Sprangers (AIR Lab)
- Mihaela Mitici (Utrecht Mobility and AI Lab)
- 17:05 Closing
- 17:10 Drinks, network, and posters
The ICAI Day is hosted by the University of Utrecht.