Profile TTT.AI Business Developer
Are you an experienced business developer in the field of software and digital innovations, and do you have an affinity with Artificial Intelligence (AI)? Does the sound of working in a dynamic working environment with top scientists, using your knowledge and experience to bring AI innovations to market appeal to you? Then we are looking for you for the position of AI Business Developer for the new national TTT.AI programme.
TTT.AI is the RVO-funded Thematic Technology Transfer (TTT) programme in AI, in which ten research institutions and the Lumo Labs investment fund have joined forces with a large number of partners. The consortium’s ten research institutions are: University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam UMC, Vrije Universiteit, Utrecht University, UMC Utrecht, Radboud University, Radboudumc, Eindhoven University of Technology and the National Research Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science. TTT.AI is primarily focused on the topics of Health Care, Security and Human-Centred AI.
The goal of the TTT.AI consortium, and as such, that of the wanted business developers (four in total, spread across four cities) is use AI-related education and research to create start-ups and spin-offs in such a way that the research institutions can join forces and collaborate as much as possible.
You are the point of contact for researchers, start-up companies, funding partner Lumo Labs and other stakeholders. It is also your task to proactively scout within the research institutions and
with external market parties. Together with researchers, you assess research results for commercial opportunities that could lead to spin-offs. You make sure that these spin-offs are realised and properly prepared for investors, in close collaboration with your fellow TTT.AI business developers.
You have a relevant network that you use to achieve concrete results. Your strong business development and collaboration skills enable you to persuade and negotiate effectively, and to maintain relationships. You can make the underlying value of knowledge clear like no-one else.
We are looking for someone with the following profile:
- University graduate in a discipline in which AI has played a growing role;
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in developing, commercialising and/or implementing software innovations, preferably AI, in an entrepreneurial environment;
- Affinity with setting up and supervising academic start-ups/spin-offs;
- Affinity with drafting, assessing and making business cases ready for investments;
- Industry expertise in Healthcare, Security, Smart Systems and/or Education is a plus, and experience within other disciplines, such as Energy or Gaming is also greatly appreciated. Ability to operate in multiple domains is a requirement.
- Understanding of (service-oriented) business models and technical protection strategies around AI;
- Affinity with intellectual property law – in the broadest sense – and licensing;
- Knowledge of and experience with applying AI in public and private organisations is a plus;
- Commercial, results and service-oriented attitude with respect for the research community and able to work both independently and in a team;
- Excellent command of the English language.
What we offer:
- Exposure to the latest developments in AI from scientific research and education;
- A dynamic and diverse environment where you will increase the impact of research by bringing innovations to market through spin-offs;
- A central position in the national AI landscape;
- An appointment for 3-5 days per week, initially for a period of one year;
- Employment conditions in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) for Dutch Universities, scale 12;
- A work environment where you can build close relationships with the [KTO] team
and with fellow business developers on the TTT.AI team;
- Access to a challenging international world concerned with closing balanced business deals while respecting the risks and interests of various parties.
Where will you be working?
You will work in the Knowledge Transfer Offices (KTO) of one of the research institutions:
IXA/University of Amsterdam, Utrecht Holdings/ University of Utrecht, Radboud Innovation/ Radboud University or at The Gate as part of Eindhoven University of Technology.
The KTO focuses on valorisation by supporting and stimulating researchers to generate economic and social change with their research results. Academics and staff are supported in protecting their inventions and in that framework, grant licenses to external parties. We regularly set up new companies (spin-offs), often with external parties, from our research institution(s). We do all this with a team of business developers, IP specialists, investment managers and lawyers.
- Application deadline is September 19.
- Applications are only possible via the UvA vacancies website. You can apply here.
- Applicants indicate their preference for a placement in Amsterdam, Nijmegen, Utrecht or Eindhoven when applying.
- The first interviews will take place at the preferred location in the second and third week of September.
- You can apply online. We will not process applications sent by email and/or post.
- Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.
- curriculum vitae (CV)
- Motivation letter, including preference for placement in Nijmegen, Eindhoven, Utrecht or Amsterdam and an example of a successful case with knowledge valorisation, with an explanation of the role of the applicant in the process.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact for
- Amsterdam, Peter Westerhuijs, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eindhoven, Frank van de Ven, email@example.com
- Nijmegen, Brechtje Vreenegoor, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Utrecht, Mirko Lukacs, email@example.com
The TTT.AI program is funded by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy and the Ministry of Education Culture and Science.